Sunday, September 30, 2012

Reeling In The Years

I'm interested in graphic design, though I have little talent in it. I recently discovered a box of 7" reel-to-reel tapes in the garage, and was struck by some of the interesting graphic design choices that were made in the packaging. Here are a few samples:

This one comes via my friend Darrell, is dated 1975, and has Paul Revere and the Raiders and The Beatles recorded on it. This is my all-time favorite.




















I'm assuming Ampex was going for the classical connoisseur here.



















Burgess (makers of BURGESS BATTERIES) seems to maybe be going for a little bit of Constructivism with a smidgen of the "atomic-age". (tape contains Foghat Live, Van Halen, and Black Sabbath*)



















 Radio Shack not even really trying here with their "here's some random studio stuff" design.



















Scotch - I assume this is what was used to record Smell The Glove.



















No bachelor pad is complete without...whatever that thing is on the left hand side of the box.
(sadly, tape doesn't contain Martin Denny or the Rat Pack, but Aerosmith, Led Zep, and Styx*).



















*both of these tapes were pulled out of a dusty corner of the Maryville College theatre control room circa 1981.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home