Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Not that kind of rock ballad - no lighter needed


I'm not sure how I made it this close to a half century without knowing that Carl Sandburg worked in music as well as literature.

This album is fairly interesting, with a couple of my favorite folk/old timey tunes.


Sung and played by Carl Sandburg. Columbia Records AML 5339. Recorded at Carl Sandburg's home at Flat Rock, North Carolina. 33 1/3 speed. 1972.

Side One
Wanderin'
I Ride An Old Paint
Careless Love
Down In The Valley
Ship That Never Returned
Alice B.
My Name Is Yon Yonson
Red River Valley
Turkey In The Straw
Old Gray Mare


Side Two
Eating Goober Peas
If I Die A Railroad Man
Medley: Sailing, Sailing; Fancies Fancies; In The Evening By The Moonlight; Carry Me Back To Old Virginia
He's Gone Away
Suckin' Cider Through A Straw
Nora's Dove
The Horse Named Bill
Showers Of Dollars
Get The Money
In De Vinter Time
But I Could Not Find My Baby-O
The Hearse Song
Unconstant Lover
The Doughnut Man

Today he'd be regularly vilified on Fox News as a Kommunist.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul L said...

Beautiful. Thanks.

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He also taught Burl Ives how to play guitar, too.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home