Friday, July 25, 2008

Teh debil made me rawk out

A diversion today from my series of local radio stuff into the crazy world of anti-rock preachers (though I'm certain that I picked this up at one of my radio station jobs, so it's at least peripherally connected).

Kingsport's own Marty Tinglehoff is today's ranter, featured in a series of four poorly-recorded cassettes from the mid-80's titled "Expose on Rock, Soul, and Country Music."

Marty seems to have disappeared, though he apparently (back in the day) had a song written about him by a Johnson City band. Some sources place him in Atlanta after an embezzlement scandal, but I can neither confirm nor deny those reports.

Enjoy and or/repent at your leisure:

Marty01
Marty02
Marty03
Marty04
Marty05
Marty06
Marty07
Marty08


Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I went to Marty Tinglehoff's church. I also participated in some of the lectures he gave. At the time it all seemed to make sense but as I grew older the truth became apparent. He started a radio station and embezzled money from the church. Oh well.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marty is now doing stand-up comedy. No kidding. He had a change of heart and is now very anti-religious. He's currently doing a show at the Laughing Skull Lounge in Atlanta, GA -- and it's pretty funny!

Check it out (search for "Tinglehoff"): http://www.vortexcomedy.com/

I couldn't make this stuff up!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Pufnstuff said...

Thanks! I was given a set of Marty's tapes in 1982... The original seminar recording. Yes, Marty was very full of himself and his topic, but I always found them entertaining to listen to, and I've been on the lookout for several years to find a copy.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Pufnstuff said...

Thanks! I was given a set of Marty's tapes in 1982... The original seminar recording. Yes, Marty was very full of himself and his topic, but I always found them entertaining to listen to, and I've been on the lookout for several years to find a copy.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Matt Hawes said...

Thanks for sharing these tapes with us! I am pretty sure that Marty's sermons were the ones that I heard on a cassette that my friend brought over to my house as a teen back in the 1980s'. I'm fascinated with the whole "backwards message" thing, as well as the crazy evangelists that railed against the practice. Very cool that there's people like you helping to preserve this odd piece of rock and roll history.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home