Thursday, July 17, 2008

Waves Rock 104's boat

I listened to WIMZ (aka Rock 104) since before it was WIMZ - when it was WBIR, and played some sort of alternative/outlaw country format (I had gotten bored with WRJZ and WNOX and their top-40 format). I have to admit that during most of the time that I lived in the area (about 20 years) they mostly sucked - how many times can a man hear Light My Fire and survive? (I suspect that that may actually be a long-running WIMZ project, perhaps funded by DARPA in the name of national security).



Sometime in late 1980 or early 1981 I got tipped off to a show called Waves that was hosted by Jeff Huggins and aired on either Monday or Tuesday night after midnight (If I had been blogging this 10 years ago, I would be able to remember exactly. Now, not so much). I think Jeff may actually have been the second host, but at this point I haven't found any tapes that confirm this vague memory.

I don't remember how long the show ran, but I don't think that I have any tapes past about 1982.

Waves (the snotty punk younger brother), along with UNRADIO (the hip, older uncle), were glorious beacons of hope to a Murvil youth stuck in a town of Freebird fanatics.

These recordings are presented as they appear on my tapes - pause button editing included - as tremendously important artifacts of my youth. It's a tribute to (in this case) Memorex that the tape is still playable, because I played it over and over.

WIMZWaves1981-part01

WIMZWaves1981-part02


P.S. Jeff Huggins - if you're out there, I'd love to talk to you about this show.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dodgy Bagehot said...

I remember this show, and I remember that I liked it.

Eric

2:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have about ten other episodes recorded.

12:05 PM  
Blogger senormedia said...

any chance I could get them to post? That would be very cool.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home