Friday, April 24, 2009

I Wander Where Are They Now?

Today is an interesting performance by a group that called themselves The Wandering Souls, and who performed during a local artists week at Silver Dollar City (later Dollywood) back in the early 1980's. I haven't been able to come up with any additional information about them - I know that they were selling a 7" record at the time (which probably had contact info on it) , but I've since never seen a copy of it. They were a family band, with a 13-year-old girl on drums and a 12 or 14-year-old boy on bass backing up a couple of adult singers and instrumentalists.
I talked them into letting me tape one of the shows - I used a cassette recorder and two really odd AKG D1000E microphones.
I'm having trouble nailing down the exact date (and for the last 20 years or so I've had it in my head that this was from 1985, but I wasn't working at Silver Dollar City in 1985, so that date is incorrect) but this performance must be from the summer of 1980 or 1981 (I can't remember whether I had a different summer job between the summer with the Smoky Mt Passion Play and the summer at Silver Dollar City).

I guess you would call this gospel soul -there are some really cool songs in the set, but they probably should have stopped before the encore - I'm not sure they had rehearsed that piece, nor do I think any grouping of them were in the same key.


The Wandering Souls at Silver Dollar City

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home