Friday, December 04, 2009

Still Lost in the Supermarket


















Today we'll finish off the grocery store chain-sponsored Christmas albums with one that I've owned since I was very small (as opposed to the majority of these Christmas posts, which are albums that I've accumulated in the last decade or so). I don't remember where the ACME was in the Cumberland, MD area (any area folks feel free to chime in) [edit - I have a vague memory of a small store in Cresaptown that might have been an ACME]. For the last 40-something years I've thought that this was one of the series of tire company-issued albums that my Dad brought home yearly, until I read the fine print a week ago and saw that it was "Created exclusively for ACME Markets by Columbia Special Products."

This one actually has more than a handful of interesting tracks which do not appear on my other Christmas albums (Dave Brubeck, The Banjo Barons, a groovy Les Brown, Skitch Henderson) along with the usual suspects (Ray Conniff, Andre Kostelanetz, Rosemary Clooney, etc.) and of course the Man in Black, Johnny Cash.


The First Noel - Jerry Vale
White Christmas - Rosemary Clooney
Little Drummer Boy - Johnny Cash
Adeste Fidelis/O Holy Night) - Frank DeVol
It Came upon the Midnight Clear/Silent Night - Andre Kostelanetz
We Three Kings of Orient Are/Deck the Hall with Boughs of Holly - Ray Conniff
Sleigh Ride - Skitch Henderson
We Wish You the Merriest - Les Brown
Jolly Old St. Nick/JingleBells - The Banjo Barons
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town - Dave Brubeck



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home