Monday, February 22, 2010

Does humor belong in...comedy? (with apologies to Frank Zappa)















Pardon My Blooper can surely be blamed for America's Funniest Home Videos (Head, Gut, or Groin?) and the plethora of similar shows that fill otherwise-dead-programming-time on the many cable channels of this great nation (and probably other nations, as well).
The man behind this was Kermit Schafer, who started releasing blooper albums in the 1950's. Unfortunately, he also started releasing what could kindly be called "reenactements" when original recordings were not available - a small detail that he didn't bother to note on the discs or, in fact, at all.
This disc may be the most singularly unfunny "comedy" material since...well, since any recent film by Robin Williams.

Pardon My Blooper!

4 Comments:

Blogger Photo Rat said...

I bought this album (I'm ashamed to admit)!

It was advertised on TV very heavily in the 1970s. They were able to make it sound hilarious in their 60-second commercial.

Not only are most of the bloopers on the LP reenactments, but some of the bloopers on the commercial were reenactments of the reenactments! The kiddie show host, for example was funnier on the commercial than on the LP.

The album was so horrible that I sent it back. Then my mother confiscated my refund money for some lame reason, so I got gypped twice.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Hal said...

actually the advertised album was the K-Tel 2 LP set 100 SUPER DUPER BLOOPERS.

I don't know, we loved 'em when I was a kid. Of course I was about 11 then. It was a different time. I still get a kick out of them now, but for how poor the performances of the "actors" are in reenacting the material.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at audioarchives.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from your blog post right above if I provide a link back to your website?

Thanks,
Peter

8:12 AM  
Blogger senormedia said...

OK with me.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home