Friday, August 05, 2011

In the Mood...for Tequila?



By the time that I seriously started listening to the radio, Herb Alpert was basically off the charts and off the air. No one in my family owned any Tijuana Brass records, but somehow I ended up with this 1966 album: Something New - The Glenn Miller Orchestra Under the Direction of Buddy DeFranco translates The Tijuana Brass Hits. For me, these are the correct versions of the songs, and the actual Tijuana Brass versions (with their measly handful of trumpets) sound thin. Yeah, I know, it's a character flaw. The drumming is really good on this, too. I like this (probably a reissue) album art better than what is probably the original (see below), though I feel sorry for the guy pushing the piano and the guy with the double bass over his head (and what's that guy in front playing? A cheese pizza?).


Something New - The Glenn Miller Orchestra Under the Direction of Buddy DeFranco translates The Tijuana Brass Hits

1 A Taste Of Honey
2 What Now My Love
3 I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
4 Whipped Cream
5 Tijuana Taxi
6 Zorba The Greek
7 The Lonley Bull
8 Mexican Shuffle
9 The Third Man Theme
10 Spanish Flea

Probably the original album art:

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger den81164 said...

one cover is the american (the guy with the big hat) the other is the Uk version (epic lp for america, emi label for UK)

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home