Saturday, December 03, 2011

03 Tennessee Ernie Ford



I have a soft spot for ol' Tennessee. I've owned a 45 of 16 Tons for as long as I can remember (I think that it originally belonged to my Mom), and I have coal miners on all branches of my family tree. Even so, a double-record set of him doing Christmas songs is a bit much (but the 16 Tons of Boogie CD is highly recommended).

This set has been reissued in various forms through the years, but AFAIK none of them exactly match this version.

A Tennessee Ernie Ford Christmas Special Capitol Records STBB-485

Sing We Now of Christmas

O Christmas Tree! (O Tannenbaum)

The Little Drummer Boy

Angels We Have Heard on High

Caroling, Caroling

Good King Wenceslas

The Virgin's Slumber Song

The Twelve Days of Christmas

What Child Is This

Away in a Manger

O Come All Ye Faithful

Lottle Boy King

Slumber Song of the Infant Jesus

Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Good Christian Men Rejoice

The Wassail Song

The Friendly Beasts

He Is Born, the Holy Child

While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

White Christmas

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian Michael Page said...

I've downloaded Firestone volumes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6, and the RCA Presents Music for the 12 Days - Great sound for coming from vinyl. The Tennessee Ernie Ford album skips, however, on Good King Wenceslas.
I grew up with the RCA album and Firestone 2 and 4. And if you ever get Goodyear "Great Songs of Christmas" albums 3 and 4, let me know.

BMP

9:01 PM  
Blogger senormedia said...

yeah, unfortunately I couldn't a terrible scratch to stop skipping.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a child, my family had Tennessee Ernie Ford's A Star Carol and the Bing Crosby Christmas Album. Nowadays, you simply cannot find an entire album of "Christ-mas" hymns and songs like this Ford's Christmas Special. Political correctness is destroying Christmas.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Dan Shuman said...

Thank you for posting. We had this exact album when I was kid many years ago.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home