Monday, December 19, 2011

19 Ralph Carmichael - 'Specially For Shepherds



I'm not certain that this was "contemporary" even by 1977 standards - I guess it's the drums that made it contemporary. Mostly it makes contemporaries the Carpenters sound like acid rock.

Ralph Carmichael - 'Specially For Shepherds: A Contemporary Christmas Cantata

Part I: The Prophets:
The Sign
The Prince of Peace
A Great Light
The Prince of Peace
Shining Bethlehem
Prophet Trio
Unto Us A Child Is Born
Part II: Mary
Gabriel's Commission
Greetings Mary
Whatever Could He Mean
He Shall Be Called God's Son
He Shall Be Great
Questions (How Can This Be)
Nothing Is Impossible
Here Am I
I Must Tell Elizabeth
I Knew It
Sing Out My Soul
Part III: Joseph
I Can't Believe It
Dear Mary
Your Worries Are Through
The Sign (Reprise)
We Will Walk Together
The Road to Bethlehem
Shining Bethlehem (Reprise)
Unto Us A Child Is Born (Reprise)
Part IV: 'Specially for Shepherds
A Light In The Sky
Most Joyful Nes
How Will We Know Him
Just One Look
Glory To God In The Highest
I Found Him
Glory to God In The Highest

7 Comments:

Blogger teacherdan said...

What you have with 'Specially for Shepherds is a demo album for a Christmas cantata. There were choral books and backing tracks also available. I have had church choirs where I ministered to perform this musical. They (even though amateurs) sounded much better than the studio vocalists who are on this album!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Tommie said...

I bought this very album back in 1977 in North Platte, Nebraska. It's my favorite "go-to" Christmas music every year. It isn't a demo. It's an actual performance featuring Ralph Carmichael's orchestra and chorus. Gorgeous!!

2:32 PM  
Blogger senormedia said...

I don't think that teacherdan meant "demo" in the musician sense of a recording not meant for release, but in the "here's what this cantata sounds like in case you would like to purchase the music so that you can perform it in your church" sense.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Tommie said...

"Studio vocalists" sounds like a bit of a slam when it is Ralph Carmichael's Chorus.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Most Christmas Cantatas we did at our church came with these kinds of records so that the oval choir director knew how the song writer intended the cantata to sound. Our Church did mostly John Peterson Cantats when I was a teen in the 70's. He wrote many well known hymns such as "It Took a Miracle", "Over the Sunset Mountains", "Heaven Came Down", "So Send I You", "Springs of Living Water", "Jesus is Coming Again", "Surely Goodness and Mercy" and "This is the day that the Lord hath made.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Lylton Powell said...

How may I be able to acquire "specially for shepherds" / accompaniment tracks / ralph carmichael for my singing group Thanks

2:50 PM  
Blogger senormedia said...

Lylton I would suggest searching for the publisher and contacting them.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home