Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Six, Covers Under The, Volume

Under The Covers Volume Six

Where to start on the highlights on this episode?
The Textones' Dylan cover is great, I love the Nervous Eaters track, Cheap Trick is a classic fave, Tomorrow is a great band, but this isn’t the best track on the album, I loves me some Bangles, and I’m not sure I’ve ever hear a King Crimson cover before, but this one is pretty cool, I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart (head?) for George Thorogood’s boogie, and God help me, but I really like the Power Station (and not ironically).

The lowlights?
There’s no reason to listen to the original Stairway, so a solo guitar version doesn’t really excite, I’m not sure what Winger was thinking taking on Hendrix (Devo pulls it off by going “out”), and Bobby McFerrin needs to hire a band (maybe a duet with Stanley Jordan?).

The meh?
The Tin Huey track is OK, but the rest of the album is better, the Collins is the kind of inoffensive pap that he does so well (but he deserves a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the drum fill in In The Air Tonight), and does the world really need an additional cover of Steppin’ Stone?

And I go back and forth on whether the Manowar track is brilliant or awful (it usually depends on how much coffee I’ve had at the time).


Side One
The Georgia Satellites – Hippy Hippy Shake
Stanley Jordan – Stairway To Heaven
Big Mouth – Takin’ Care of Business
Winger – Purple Haze
The Georgia Satellites – Don’t Pass Me By
Devo – Are You Experienced?
The Textones – Clean Cut Kid
Graham Parker – Cupid
The Bollock Brothers – God Save The Queen
The Nervous Eaters – The Times They Are A Changin’
George Thorogood – Who Do You Love?
Bobby McFerrin – From Me To You
Rubber Rodeo – The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
George Thorogood – Alley Oop
George Thorogood – Reelin’ And Rockin’

Side Two
Tin Huey – I’m A Believer
Cheap Trick – Ain’t That A Shame
Phil Collins – Groovy Kind Of Love
Chet Atkins – Imagine
Tomorrow – Strawberry Fields Forever
Kenny Loggins – Tell Her
Martika – I Feel The Earth Move
Manowar – Sting Of The Bumblebee
Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender
The Bangles – September Gurls
Silver Leaf – Ballad Of A Thin Man
Silver Leaf – The Rest of Ballad Of A Thin Man
The Rave – I’m Not Your Steppin’ Stone
The Power Station – Bang A Gong (Get It On)
April Wine – 21st Century Schizoid Man

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Goodsell said...

Hi -


you were one of the Honorable mentions in my name the Candy Corn with your entry of Charles Andrew Corn.

You get to pick one Candy Corn doll - regular, Vampire or Indian - and I will send it to you along with some other goodies.

So let me know which one you want and a mailing address.

thanks for taking part.

dan

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home