Thursday, December 04, 2008

'Tis the season

When I was a kid in the 60's/70's my Dad worked for the Kelly-Springfield Tire Company (a subsidiary of Goodyear Tires) which meant that nearly every Christmas we'd get one of the Goodyear "Great Songs of Christmas" albums. While Goodyear and Firestone were by far the largest producers of these albums, there were other smaller-run issues. Today we have one from W.T Grant Department Store chain.
Although there was quite a bit of overlap with the mainstream easy listening Christmas music on the Goodyear/Firestone records, the Grants albums also featured some unique tracks.

Today's album is A Very Merry Christmas Volume 3.

Amongst the typical MOR/easy listening stuff is a really nice reading of Silver Bells by Mahalia Jackson that I had not previously heard before obtaining this record, and I definitely hadn't hear the Cary Grant track, either.















01 Robert Goulet - Do You Hear What I Hear?
02 Leslie Uggams - It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas
03 Percy Faith Orchestra - Angels We Have Heard On High
04 Johnny Mathis - I'll Be Home for Christmas
05 Ray Conniff Singers - The Real Meaning of Christmas
06 Jim Nabors - Three Wise Men, Wise Men Three
07 Andre Kostelanetz Orchestra - Christmas Chimes
01 Cary Grant - Christmas Lullaby
02 The Philadelphia Orchestra and Choir - For Unto Us A Child Is Born
03 Burl Ives - The Christmas Story (reading from Luke 2)
04 Mahalia Jackson - Silver Bells
05 Ed Sullivan Orchestra - I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
06 Diahann Carroll - Some Children See Him
07 Mitch Miller and the Gang - What Child Is This?
08 Bobby Vinton - Christmas Chopsticks


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for discussing this album. I loved this album. It was truly cherished in my family. Do you have a copy of this now--and would you mine sending me a CD of it? This will thrill my siblings--and bring us untold happiness.

Please send your response to,

livingbestlife@live.com

4:39 AM  
Blogger R said...

Id love to have a copy of this . Could you please send me the link...Thank you L2L

11:22 AM  
Blogger senormedia said...

Links are in the post:
"Side One" and "Side Two"

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home