Sunday, December 19, 2010

North Central High School (IN) 1969 - Ring Christmas Bells



As far as I can determine North Central High School is located in Indianapolis. I was initially led astray by an Illinois address printed on the label, but that turns out to be the address for the "producer" of this disc, Elvis Hughes, who had his office in Carmi, Ill. (According to one Flicker site, he was much later found naked, tied up and murdered in a nearby town and it remains an unsolved case.)
I don't have a good picture of the disc, but here is the producer's Caddy (and presumably his house) circa the time this album was released:



The disc itself is very good, particularly considering it's a high school production. It appears to be a sampling of all the various choral and music groups of the high school: the Girls Concert Choir, the Descants, the Counterpoints, the Madrigals and Deb Tones, the Music Men, the Girls Ensemble, the Bell Choir, the Orchestra, the N.C. Orchestra, the A Capella Choir, and the Symphonic Band. I have two other discs from NCHS - 1967 (A Festive Christmas) and 1966 (Festival of Carols), so if you're a NCHS alum of one of these ensembles and want your moment of blog fame, contact me in the comments and I'll post those discs, too.

Anyone with more information about this series should feel free to contact me in the comments. How long did this series run? What was the selling price? Where were they recorded? How much will you pay me not to scan and publish the pictures from the back cover?

North Central High School (IN) 1969 - Ring Christmas Bells

Carol of the Bells
White Christmas
African Noel
Gloucestershire Wassail
Coventry Carol
Go Down To Bethlehem
The Gift Carol
Sing Noel
A Christmas Festival

The Bells of Christmas
In Excelsis Deo
The Straw Carol
As It Fell Upon A Night
Merry Christmas One And All
Ring, You Merry Chime
Ring, Christmas bells
Allelujia: Exultate Jublate
Pat-A-Pan Suite

10 Comments:

Blogger WML said...

I was not a student at the High School mentioned in your blog, NCHS in Dec 2010. But I did live in Carmi back in the 60's and 70's. I was wondering if you could tell me where you found/acquired these audio discs and what Flicker site were you referring with the information as to how he died. thank you for your help.

10:33 AM  
Blogger senormedia said...

Hi WML,

The discs were donated to the local public library - that library then gives them away.

The Flicker site turned up in a Google search, but at this late date I can't reproduce the results, at least not in a brief search. I didn't link to the Flicker info in the blog post because Flicker links disappear regularly as people change/cancel their accounts, etc.

12:07 PM  
Blogger WML said...

What library? How long have you had them?
I am a true crime reader. When anything comes up from my hometown area I try to get my hands on it or at least my eyes!

Are there pictures other than the people on them? Are there any pictures of Elvis Huges on the discs?

There is a Facebook group that started about being from Carmi and everyone has been listing names of people who have passed. A couple of people elaborated on Elvis' passing. I moved away from Carmi in 75 and didn't stay in touch. I vaguely remember hearing about this and couldn't believe how awful it was. So thanks to the internet I found your blog.

thanks

1:23 PM  
Blogger senormedia said...

The public library in Charleston, SC - be interesting to know their journey here. I've had them about a year.

I don't have them at hand, but I think there are group shots of the singers. I have another, from the next year, as well.

1:29 PM  
Blogger WML said...

Oh my stars! A journey indeed! Would LOVE to know that journey.

Are you located in Charleston?

I was hoping for a couple of pics of Elvis Hughes...I know I should know him. According to one of the people on facebook he was amazing with audio stuff. This is going to be interesting to dig through. It's a shame his murder is still unsolved. Such a tragic story.

You may hear from one other person about Elvis, I'm not sure. I sent your blog link to him. Hope that was okay.

4:13 PM  
Blogger senormedia said...

Send 'em on!


yes, I'm in Charleston.

4:18 PM  
Blogger WML said...

lol....I really never thought I would get any information on any of this. It was just a google search on Elvis Hughes. I got a hit on an ancestry website and yours. Pretty dang weird. But interesting too.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Bob Sandidge said...

Hi I knew Elvis and assisted him as he did some of the recordings you are talking about. Elvis had amazing recording equipment. The albums were recorded on location and pressed by Century records in Calif. Elvis also had a small studio at his home in Carmi and a spectacular playback system of speakers from movie theaters and big pro sound installations. I worked in radio at WROY in Carmi so would DJ dances and helped as Elvis did sound for many concerts in Evansville. We did sound for Ray Charles, Stan Kenton, B.B. King, and many others. Wish I had more photos of Elvis studio. Was very amazing for late 50's early 60's. He build 200 watt per channel amps himself!

11:35 PM  
Blogger senormedia said...

Bob,

Thanks for the great information!

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Steve White said...

I graduated from North Central in 1966. I have two copies of the 1965 Christmas albums with two different album covers. Its version of "Christ Came to Bethlehem" is different from any version I have heard on line--and it is much better. Seeing it performed live in December of 1965 was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home