Sunday, February 20, 2011

How Children Were Punished in the 60's


While this LP has been in my family for as long as I can remember (residing in my Grandmothers console stereo) before playing it recently I did not have any memory of its contents. After playing it...it still doesn't ring a bell. Still, it's got a cool cover, with the three disembodied heads of happy children, what appear to be three organ pipes just standing around, and a book of music drawn by someone who once might have seen some actual sheet music but who otherwise doesn't know anything about music. Seriously, that first measure has 2.5 beats, the second has 5 beats (and a staccato half note), the third measure has four beats, the fourth has - well, I can't count the beats, because there are some random dots (a colon, maybe?) in there that wouldn't normally mean anything, and there's also a random floating sharp. I won't even get into the incorrect note drawings.

These are mostly very short retellings of the classic fairy tales with musical accompaniment (including what appear to be original mini-songs).

I kind of like the square dances bit, and I sincerely hope that Punchy The Clown was the theme song for a TV show (but I can't find anything on the intertubes to confirm or deny that hope).

Children's Hour of Songs and Stories - Bravo Theatre Players & Orchestra (International Award Series AKS-112)

The Story of Cinderella
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Robin Hood
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Alice in Wonderland

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum
Square Dances For Children
Punchy The Clown
Peter Pan



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home